Wednesday, October 25, 2023


Today is International Occipital Neuralgia Awareness Day! 

What is Occipital Neuralgia (ON)? 

“Occipital neuralgia (ON) is a condition in which the occipital nerves, the nerves that run through the scalp, are injured or inflamed. This causes headaches that feel like severe piercing, throbbing or shock-like pain in the upper neck, back of the head or behind the ears.” - The Facial Pain Association. 

ON is rare, some numbers suggest 3 people per 100,000 develop it. 

There is no cure. 

A bit of my story with ON: I was diagnosed last year with Occipital Neuralgia (ON), though my symptoms first showed up in 2020. ON is very painful. My symptoms are electric like shocks and stabs to the back of my neck, head and behind my ears and tip of my ears. I also at times have a continuous burning ache on the back of my head and ears. My neck and back of my head feel like it is in a vice grip. I also have a crawling sensation. The pain level from ON can be very chronic at times and debilitating. My pain is thankfully not constant however. It flares and the flares can last anywhere for a few days, to weeks, even months. In a flare, the pain tends to be constant. My triggers, can be from anything such as touching my neck, the back of my head, and ears. Brushing my hair, pulling it into a pony tail, or sleeping on a pillow, wearing a hat or hoodie can also be incredibly painful.

Today is International Occipital Neuralgia Awareness Day, but for those who have this condition or loves someone with this condition, ON is every day. There is no cure. That’s why awareness is so important on today and every day. 

For more info on ON check out The Facial Pain Association (FPA) and the Occipital Neuralgia Foundation


Occipital Neuralgia Foundation: onfsupport.org

Follow The Medical Zebra on Instagram! Scan the QR code below!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment